Friday, May 29, 2009

Yes, I know my zipper is showing, thank you very much.



Summer's not here yet, but I was in a good mood this morning, so I decided to throw on a pair of shorts. They're plaid shorts, actually, which I'm not a big fan of anymore now that everyone and their mum is wearing them. 

But it's not the plaid shorts fad that I'm stressed out about. It's the zipper on the shorts that gives me so many sleepless nights.

The zipper, fly... whatever you want to call it, is an issue of security for most men. It safeguards our bodies from extreme embarrassment, and we are constantly checking it to make sure that we didn't absent-mindedly forget to zip it up after we've taken care of our business.

But I've recently noticed a trend in both pants and shorts that I find kind of disheartening. It seems that the Malaysian woman who works so tirelessly on running the machine that makes my clothing thinks it's funny to sew the flap of fabric that hides my zipper in the incorrect place, making my zipper always noticeable. 

Work with me here. On pants, you know how there's a piece of fabric that conceals the zipper, but that you can easily move out of the way when it's time to do your dirty work? Well, my flap is sewn in such a way that it doesn't cover anything up at all. It's just kind of there, out of the way, serving no purpose at all.

And I've only noticed this problem with the pants and shorts that I've purchased at the Gap. So shame on you, Gap. And shame on you, Malaysian citizens, for tolerating such indecency.

So if you perchance see a man on the street with his fly seemingly open and an embarrassed look on his face, 1) That's me, and 2) My fly isn't really open (make sure you tell that to all of your friends who start making fun of me).

4 comments:

  1. So I thought most clothes, or items in general, were made in China. Do you know for a fact that yours were made in Malaysia? How do you know?

    I've never had that issue so I can't feel for you really. But I'm not a fan of the plaid fad, if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just being sarcastic and picking some random Asian country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like plaid shorts, but I don't like the fact that they became a fad last year. But, like all things classic, once the fad dies out, everyone will forget about it...so, plaid shorts will just go back to being classic. Last year's fad was the reason I held off buying any until this year. The fad isn't officially dead yet, but it will be soon, and when the followers of the fad throw out their shorts, I'll still be keeping mine, and wearing them more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, totally understand the feeling.. I have some cursed shorts from old navy that have the exposed zipper problem. I haven't counted the amount of times i was told to "XYZ". Oh and have you noticed how plaid shorts have gotten uglier and uglier.. they started somewhat conservative. 2 or three decent colors But now they are mixing a thousand different colors that were never meant to be seen together..!

    ReplyDelete