Thursday, May 21, 2009

You know the end is near when . . .


. . . the sequel to the stage musical phenomenon The Phantom of the Opera is in production. I can't think of too many things that hurt my ears more than listening to anything written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, particularly Phantom. And a sequel? Didn't the phantom die in the first one? Or did I miss some deep, complex twist at the end that still leaves hope for his resurrection? Regardless, I think I'll call upon the master Stephen Sondheim to send Mr. Webber to get a shave from that nice man named Sweeney Todd and rid us all of his overcomplicated music.

Actually, come to think of it, there is maybe one--no wait--two songs of his that I can somewhat handle. There's a nice song from Sunset Boulevard (how dare he even try to duplicate the film) that is bearable, but only because Glenn Close sings it.
And as I scroll through my iPod, I see that Patti LuPone's version of "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" is on my Top Rated playlist. That's kind of embarrassing, now that I think about it. 

But really now, let's be frank. Does the man have talent? Of course. Good for him for being able to scrawl down a few notes here and there. But that doesn't make him particularly good at what he does. 

I think I'll stick to Sondheim for my musical fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment